Monday, November 22, 2010

18,000 words and counting

The idea came to me a little over a year ago. I was in the parking lot of my daughter's orthodontist when a random thought smacked me in the back of the head and just exploded into this book I had to write. It couldn't wait.  I had heard of this happening before but it had never happened to me. A journalist by trade, I had always secretly wished I could think of some great idea that would blossom into a work of fiction. But I had come to the conclusion I was just meant to write nonfiction-those ideas usually come pretty easy to me. This particular idea however reared its head on the eve of NaNoWriMo(that's National Novel Writing Month for you non-WriMos). The object of NaNoWriMo is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days-it was a challenge I had just accepted.
So November 1 off I went with a great idea for a thriller and  absolutely no idea about writing fiction. I plunked those keys like crazy trying to keep up with the others in my region. Sometimes the words came easy, other times I wanted to throw the computer out the window. I tried...but sadly I was not a winner last year, I didn't leave NaNoWriMo with a 50,000 word novel. I didn't leave empty-handed either. I'm still hard at work on the book I started last year. I know, 18,000 words in a year is nothing to brag about-but its a start...and I'm working towards an ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment