Monday, February 7, 2011

Writing Classes- Helpful or Waste of Cash?

Well, here's to another Monday! I'm getting ready to put together an article I'm writing on a local bluegrass festival, it's due next week. But before I get to work, I have a question for my fellow writers - have you ever taken a writing class? I've been throwing the idea around for awhile now... taking a class about writing fiction.

I've seen these classes offered at such places as Writer's Digest, Media Bistro and Gotham-often with a hefty price tag attached. Which leads me to my next question-is the class worth shelling out all that dough? Will it really help?

I am 20,000 words into my first YA novel(and stuck) and the proud owner of a picture book manuscript which has been rejected twice. It's not the rejection that bothers me(writing for magazines and newspapers, I'm used to it-I know it's part of the gig), it's wondering if taking a class is something I need to try to make my writing better.

So readers, let me  know-have you taken a writing class? Did it help or was it a waste of time? What other things do you do(besides writing) to improve your craft?

6 comments:

  1. Your writing is REALLY good, and you have a unique style, but your punctuation is not always correct. You've got what it takes; just polish it up with a class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or, purchase some books, like Writing in Style, by Bobbie Christmas. Also, if you can, go to a Writer's conference. There you can get a plethora of classes for a great price. Or, go to your local commuity college for a brush up. Where I live I can take on-line classes from two different colleges. They're usually 12 weeks long for about 99 bucks and you get a certificate at the end of each one. And, you meet other writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing classes are helpful. I've taken a few at the local community college and I didn't regret it.

    Have you joined SCBWI? I was sceptical about it at first, but I have found the conferences to be very motivating.

    I'm also writing a YA novel, and have a few picture books that have been rejected. So I'm sending them out again. So I know how you feel!

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm of no help here. I have not spent any money on classes as of yet. I have considered doing a workshop here and there but have not coughed up the coin for it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog through one of my followers. Just stopping by to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Anonymous-thank you so much for the compliment!
    @Shelly-Thanks! I 'll look into that here, we have three or four colleges in our area.
    @Nikki- I have been thinking of joining the SCBWI, guess I need to take the plunge! I would love to go to a conference.It's nice to meet someone who writes the same genre as you do-stay in touch!
    @Regina-I know how you feel. Some of those places were asking for big bucks for just a few weeks!
    @Debra-Thank you!

    ReplyDelete